Richmond VA > Social Services > Home

Last Updated: 2020-07-30

City Of Richmond

COVID-19 Updates, Resources and FAQ’s

  • Cooling Assistance applications can be completed online at, by phone through the Enterprise Customer Service Center, 1-855-635-4370, or by using one of the DSS Boxes at Marshall Plaza (900 E. Marshall Street) or Southside Plaza (4100 Hull Street). The maximum benefit for electricity payments is $300. The maximum benefit will be approved for all households approved for payment of electric bill and will be issued at the time of the case approval. The deadline to apply for Cooling Assistance is August 15.
  • Citizens can submit DSS inquiries and requests regarding services through the RVA311 webpage or call 804-646-7000. Benefit workers will contact citizens directly to conducted interviews by phone.
  • Emergency SNAP benefits will be issued in June and will be issued again on July 17th. Citizens can submit DSS inquiries and requests regarding services through the RVA311 webpage or call 804-646-7000. Citizens who need to apply for benefits should call the Enterprise Call Center at 1-855-635-4370 or go online. Pending applications, renewals or verifications can be faxed to 804-646-7018 or placed in the drop box at the front of the Marshall Plaza or Southside Community Service Center. Citizens needing an EBT replacement card are encouraged to call 1-866-281-2448. If you have questions about your EBT card, call the 24-hour Virginia EBT Customer Service Help Line at 866-281-2448.
  • Virginia will issue Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) benefits for children who are eligible for free and reduced lunch. How do I know if I am eligible? Schools will provide information for all eligible students directly to VDSS. Households do not have to apply for P-EBT. If you believe there are eligible students in your household but you do not receive P-EBT by the middle of June, call (804) 726-7000 or go on line @
  • To report a suspected child abuse or neglect, citizens are encouraged to call the Richmond Hotline (M-F 8:00am – 4:30pm) at 804-646-0438 or the DSS 24/7 CPS Hotline at 1-800-552-7096.
  • Adult Protective Services (APS) staff are available to respond to allegations of abuse and/or neglect involving the elderly or adults with a disability. To make a report, citizens are encouraged to call the Richmond City Hotline (M-F 8:00am – 5:00pm) at 804-646-7405 or the 24/7 APS Hotline at 1-888-832-3858.
  • Citizens who need to submit benefit case documentation (Required Verifications, Pending Renewals, SNAP Interim Reports and Change Forms only) can email them to

For additional information on Richmond City Services please click on the City of Richmond, VA link

Department of Social Services (DSS)
Frequently Asked Questions
Updated: June 8, 2020

How can I apply for benefits?

Call: 1-855-635-4370
Fax a paper application to: 804-646-7018
Drop Box at Marshall Plaza (900 E. Marshall Street)
Drop Box at Southside Plaza (4100 Hull Street)

How can I find out the status of my benefits application (SNAP, TANF, and MEDICAID)?

Call: 1-855-635-4370

How can I get a replacement EBT Card if my card is lost, stolen or damaged?

Call: 1-866-281-2448
(Toll-free, 24 Hour Customer Service Hotline)

How do I know if I am eligible to receive the Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) benefits?

If you believe there are eligible students in your household but you do not receive P-EBT by the middle of June call (804) 726-7000

How can I report child abuse/neglect or elder abuse?

Call to report child abuse: 804-646-0438
(After Hours: 1-800-552-7096)
Call to report elder abuse: 804-646-7405
(After Hours: 1-888-832-3858)

Who is my worker?

Call: 3-1-1 or 804-646-7212

Where can I find additional resources during the COVID19 Pandemic?

Meal Distribution:
Child Care Subsidy:
RVA Strong:

Are Emergency SNAP benefits going to be issued?

Yes. Virginia will issue emergency allotments to households in June. The emergency benefits will allow the household’s current monthly allotment to increase to the maximum allotment for a household of that size.

Will there be an increase in the SNAP benefits to the current SNAP caseload during the COVID-19 public emergency?

Yes. Virginia issued emergency allotments to households in March, April and May, and will issue again on June 17. The emergency benefits will allow the household’s current monthly allotment to increase to the maximum allotment for a household of that size.

Why didn’t I get an emergency allotment?

The emergency allotment was calculated by the maximum allotment issuance for the household size, minus the amount that was issued for that month. If you received the maximum benefit you would not be eligible to receive the emergency allotment.

Will the regular SNAP issuance for June 2020 be given?

Yes. The regular allotment will go out in accordance to the regular staggering schedule which occurs on the 1st, 4th and 7th of each month.

Am I eligible to receive SNAP benefits?

You may complete an online screening at Scroll to the middle of the page and click "Am I Eligible?" Please remember this is a prescreening tool, you must apply for SNAP to get a final decision.

Has the application process changed for SNAP?

There are no policy changes to the SNAP application process. Households must file an application for SNAP benefits with the Local Department of Social Services in the locality where the household resides.

How can I get health coverage?

You can apply for Medicaid at any time at Medicaid covers a variety of services, including testing and treatment for COVID-19.

I am worried my prescriptions will run out. How can I prepare?

Medicaid is allowing members to fill a 90-day supply of many routine prescriptions. Check with your pharmacist or doctor.

Will my current coverage be canceled if I experience a change in circumstances and/or I was late mailing in my renewal documents?

No, Virginia Medicaid will not cancel coverage for eligible individuals due to a change in circumstances or paperwork issues. Our priority is to maintain your coverage during this time. If you experience issues, please contact so that we might assist you.

I Want To...


    Apply For/Manage
    Benefits Online

  •   •    Food Stamps (SNAP)

  •   •    Medical Assistance (Medicaid)  

  •   •    Energy Assistance

  •   •    Child Care Services

  •   •    Temporary Assistance
              for Needy Families (TANF)


    Find Services for
    Myself or Family

  •   •    Child, Family, and
              Adult Services

  •   •    Children's Health

  •   •    Employment Assistance    

  •   •    Emergency Assistance

  •   •    Auxiliary Grants

  • Get Help with Suicide Prevention  
    for Veterans, Adults and Teens

  • Report Abuse or Neglect

  •   Report a suspected instance
    of welfare fraud

  • Get Help with Heating/
    Cooling Expenses

  • Find Other Resources in
    the Community

  • Become a Foster Parent

  • Go Online!

    Did you know you can check eligibility, apply for, review, renew and report changes to your benefits
    online? You can access CommonHelp from:

    • Your personal computer
    • A mobile phone or tablet with internet access
    • A Richmond Public Library computer
    • A RDSS facility computer kiosk

    Visit today and skip the line!

    Our Programs

    Children, Families, and Adults (CF&A)   [ en Español ]

    The Children, Families, & Adults division focuses on ensuring that families and children are safe and
    secure in their own homes, in foster homes, and throughout the community at large.

    The office of the Children’s Services Act provides child-focused, cost-effective services
    to troubled and at-risk youth and their families. In collaboration with parents, private service providers,
    and other state and local agencies, CSA develops community and family-based plans to address the
    needs of at-risk children in their home, keeping families together whenever possible.

    The Economic Support & Independence division provides residents in need with tools and opportunities
    that promote economic stability. ES&I supplies aid for those citizens who require assistance preserving
    their own health and well-being, while also equipping them with skills that encourage self-sufficiency.

    Nondiscrimination Statement

    In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

    To file a complaint of discrimination, write

    USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights,
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

    Vision 2023 image click here to enlarge or download                                     haga clic aquí para ampliar o descargar

    This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.