Richmond VA > Finance > Risk Management

Last Updated: 2018-05-14

The city's Bureau of Risk Management directs strategic planning, provides operational control and establishes rules, policies and procedures to accomplish risk management goals related to employee and workplace safety, loss control, claims, insurance and self-insurance program objectives.

Our mission is to protect the employees and assets of the city of Richmond from loss and damage and provide effective, proactive risk management.

The city is committed to the preservation and protection of its human, physical, and financial assets. This policy builds on this commitment by providing the policy of risk management, including the objectives of the risk management program and the responsibilities of all city employees.

The city of Richmond is responsible to its employees, citizens and visitors for the preservation and protection of human and physical assets. The city administration takes this responsibility seriously and is committed to a comprehensive risk management program.

Each agency must be committed to a risk management, safety and loss prevention program. All levels of management are inherently responsible for promptly resolving exposures to loss and insuring that all employees comply with appropriate policies and procedures to insure their safety and the well being of those around them.

Our Responsibilities

The Bureau of Risk Management is responsible for directing and coordinating all functions relative to the Risk Management Program. The Risk Manager will work with agency heads and other managers and employees to identify and respond to issues concerning the program and to provide training and education on safety and risk reduction.

Risk Management Objectives

  • To provide to the extent possible an exposure-free work and service environment for employees, citizens and visitors
  • To protect and preserve city assets and work force; wherever possible, against losses which could deplete city resources or impair the city's ability to meet its legal obligations to provide services to its citizens
  • To institute all practical measures to eliminate or control injury to citizens, employees and visitors; loss to property or other loss producing conditions
  • To implement sound business practices of risk financing that protect the city against catastrophic loss
  • To administer claims against the city ethically, efficiently and in the best interests of the city


Contact Information

Bureau of Risk Management
900 E. Broad St.,10th Floor, Room 1000
Richmond, VA 23219
Map It

Phone: (804)646-0107
Fax: (804)646-7561


City Safety Officers

Our Services

Property & Casualty Insurance

Property & Casualty Insurance Manages the county property & casualty insurance programs including but not limited to:

  • County Owned Building & Contents
  • Special Property Risks
  • Boiler & Machinery
  • Automobile Physical Damage
  • Automobile Liability
  • General Liability
  • Fidelity Bonds

Safety & Loss Prevention

The Safety & Loss Prevention unit established within the Bureau with the express intent to coordinate and monitor city operations in order to reduce accidents, losses, and associated costs.

This unit also administers the county Workers' Compensation, vehicle insurance (Automobile Liability), and Property and Casualty insurance programs.

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Workers' compensation is a benefits program created by state law that provides medical, rehabilitation, income, death and other benefits to employees and dependents due to injury, illness and death resulting from a compensable work-related claim covered by the law.

If you are injured on the job, you have certain rights, benefits and responsibilities. Your employer also has obligations and responsibilities regarding all employees.

The main focus of the city of Richmond Bureau of Risk Management Workers' Compensation unit is to assist job-related injured workers in receiving immediate and quality medical care, to administer workers' compensation claims from the initial injury until the closing of the claim, and to safely return lost time employees to productive employment. We believe that a healthy, safety conscious and productive city is the result of healthy, safety conscious and cooperative employees.

Claim Procedures (Non-Employees)

If you have been involved in an accident and /or wish to file a claim against the city of Richmond, it is necessary to submit a written claim. The claim letter should be sent to the following address.

Mr. Allen L. Jackson, Esq.
900 E. Broad Street, 4th Floor
Richmond, VA 23219
Map It

Upon receipt of the claim, a claims representative will contact you. However, an investigation must be conducted into the claim before a final decision on liability and /or payment(s) will be made. This process can take four to six weeks depending upon the nature of your claim.

Special Note

Sole authority to settle and/or pay claims rest with the governing authorities and select personnel of the Risk Management Division. Employees are not authorized to determine liability or obligate the city of Richmond for payment of a claim. Therefore, the Risk Management Division will not be obligated to provide any payment(s) toward a claim based on statements of employees prior to completion of an investigation into the claim.


The city of Richmond has certain minimum insurance requirements for contractors, vendors, events, and use of city property.

Contractors and vendors providing services to the city of Richmond must furnish Certificates of Insurance to Bureau of Risk Management. Our office also handles requests for certificates of insurance.

Certificates of Insurance

The city of Richmond requires a Certificate of Insurance from contractors and vendors providing services to the city. All requests must flow through Bureau of Risk Management.

A certificate is not a binding document. It is merely a statement that a person or company has insurance. It requires that notice be given to the certificate holder 30 days prior to the policy being cancelled or amended.

Minimum Insurance Limits

All contractors/vendors should have the following minimum insurance limits.

  • Comprehensive General Liability, including bodily injury and property damage, $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence
  • Comprehensive Automobile Liability, including bodily injury and property damage, $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence
  • Workers' Compensation, following Virginia statutory limits with the Alternate Employer Endorsement WC 000301

These are the most common minimums requested by the city of Richmond. Other lines of insurance coverage may be required for certain types of exposure and limits of liability may vary depending on the type of contract.

Additional Insured

There are many alterations to insurance policies that can be noted on certificates. The city of Richmond must be shown as Additional Insured on all general liability and automobile liability policies, as insurance is extended to entities named as Additional Insured on a policy.

Principally, this means that they can make a claim directly against the policy. The insurance coverage provides the financial security needed to support the indemnification agreement.

For more information on insurance requirements, contact the Bureau of Risk Management.

Certificate of Insurance Requests

The city of Richmond is often required to send out a Certificate of Insurance in order to verify some aspect of the city's insurance program. All requests must flow through Bureau of Risk Management, allowing us to review the request and notify the city's insurance broker, if appropriate, to issue the certificate.

The city's insurance broker will not issue a Certificate of Insurance unless authorized by the Bureau of Risk Management.

Please submit requests for certificates as early as possible. Don't wait until the day they are due, as we may be unavailable or our broker may be tied up, or the first certificate issued may need revisions and may have to be reissued, causing further delay and possibly holding up operations on your end.

The Bureau of Risk Management will arrange for the issuance of certificates when required for city of Richmond use of outside facilities or the rental of vehicles. The following information must be provided in order to require a certificate.

  • Name of outside organization
  • Point of contact at organization
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Fax number (required)
  • Purpose of certificate
  • Dates certificate is to be in effect
  • Limits required (if specified)
  • Whether Certificate Holder is to be named an Additional Insured

When the required information is provided, it is generally possible to have the certificate faxed to the recipient within 48 hours.

While this site provides basic coverage information regarding the city's insurance coverage, it should not be relied on for policy interpretation. Contact the Bureau of Risk Management for answers to specific questions.

Tenant Users Liability (TULIP)

Users of a city of Richmond facility for events that are not sponsored by the city (tenant users) must demonstrate possession of an insurance policy that extends coverage to the event, or acquire insurance through the Tenant Users Liability Insurance Program.

Events that are not sponsored by the city of Richmond (i.e. meetings, parties, weddings, block parties,etc.) must be insured for liability. Tenant users must give a Certificate of Insurance as evidence of such coverage to the office booking your event and to Safety Services and Risk Management 10 days prior to the event.

How do I access TULIP coverage?

You will need to complete the TULIP application form and pay for your coverage by check made payable to the city of Richmond. Costs are based upon the risk of the activity, the number of days of the activity, the number of participants, and if there are any special requirements.

Upon completion of the transaction, you will receive a copy of the application and a binder of coverage via regular mail. A copy will automatically be sent to the office booking your event and maintained within the Bureau of Risk Management.

Workers' Compensation

All employees are covered by the provisions of the Virginia Workers' Compensation Act.

When an employee sustains a work-related injury, consult the procedures for reporting of injuries and seeking medical attention.

Forms that should be completed and sent with the injured workers for their medical treatment include:

Forms that must be filled out and sent to Risk Management include the following:

Link to Risk Management Forms

Reporting of Injuries

Supervisors must immediately report work-related accidents or injuries. Notify your department's Safety Officer by phone or email within 24 hours of the accident. Failure to report immediately may jeopardize a claim for workers' compensation.

The supervisor must also complete the Supervisor's Investigation and Report of Employee Injury Report. Please include a brief statement from the injured employee stating what happened.

Medical Attention

Emergency Medical Attention

If an employee has a severe or life-threatening injury, which requires immediate care or an ambulance, call 911 or go the nearest emergency room.

Non-Emergency Medical Attention

If an employee requires non-emergency medical attention, they must choose a physician from the approved Workers' Compensation Panel of Physicians. All follow-up medical treatment must be provided by one of the listed physicians to be covered by worker's compensation.

Bills & Prescriptions

Medical Bills

The city of Richmond Worker's Compensation program is the primary responsible party for all related medical charges. The employee should not use their personal medical insurance coverage when receiving treatment or having prescriptions filled. They should make it clear to the medical provider that they are being treated for a work-related injury.

Prescription Drugs

Should you have to pay out-of-pocket for a prescription, bring your receipt to Safety Office of the Bureau of Risk Management and you will be reimbursed as soon as possible.

Vehicle Accidents

Forms required to be sent to Risk Management include the following.

  • Vehicle Loss Notice/Accident Form
  • Supervisors Evaluation of Vehicle Accident
  • On The Job Injury Report

Accident Reporting Procedures

  1. Notify the City Occupational Safety and Health Officer in the Bureau Risk Management immediately at (804)646-6114 of any accident involving a serious injury, fatality or major property damage. Unless directed by the police, do not move the vehicle prior to contacting Risk Management.

    NEVER place a vehicle involved in a serious accident back into operation without first notifying Risk Management. The vehicle should be stored in a secured location until an investigation is completed by the department and Risk Management.

  2. Notify the police department and file a report.
  3. Avoid restarting the engine on any vehicle involved in a serious accident. Valuable information can be lost from the on-board computer.
  4. Employees are required to take a post accident drug and alcohol test if any of the following are true.
    • The accident involves a fatality.
    • The driver receives moving traffic violation arising from the accident.
    • Any involved vehicle requires towing from the scene.
    • Any person involved requires medical treatment away from the scene of the accident.
    • The city cannot completely discount the employee's conduct as a contributing factor to the accident (non-vehicular or vehicular).
  5. Perform the following if you have a camera available.
    • Take photographs of the accident scene. Include stationary objects such as stop signs, trees, side walks, power poles, street signs, etc. These objects will be used as reference points for placement of the vehicles.
    • Include close-up and wide angle photographs.
    • Photograph all sides of the vehicle. Both the damaged and undamaged sides can provide valuable information.
    • Walk the route each vehicle was traveling prior to the collision. Look for any vision obstructions or obstacles and photograph.
    • Photograph any tire marks, gouges, or debris in the road surface created by the vehicles.
  6. If vehicle is towed from the scene, find out where it will be stored.
  7. Submit all available paperwork to Risk Management within 24 hours.
  8. A Report of Accident on City Property must also be completed if our employees is injured in the accident.

The city vehicle must be towed if the employee indicates that the collision was the result of a mechanical failure (brakes, steering, etc).

Under no circumstances should any repairs or testing be performed on any vehicle that is involved in a serious accident or that is reported to have mechanical problems without approval from Risk Management.

Occasionally, incidents and accidents occur over holidays, weekends or after business hours. If no one is available at the time of the incident or accident, contact the appropriate public safety agency (e.g. fire department, police department) and then contact Risk Management immediately the next business day.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my property was damaged by the city?

You must file a written claim against the city of Richmond. The Code of Virginia, Section 15.2-209, requires written notice of a claim against a municipality be provided within 6 months of the event giving rise to the claim. To file a claim against the city of Richmond, the claim letter should be addressed as follows:

Mr. Allen Jackson, Esq.
City Attorney
Room 404
900 E. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219

The letter should include the pertinent information of the incident, including the date, time of day, location, parties involved, vehicles involved, names of witnesses and a description of what occurred.

Who may I contact in the event I have any questions regarding damage to my property or filing a claim against the city?


This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.