Last Updated: 2010-12-20

These frequently asked questions were prepared to assist our citizens with questions related to the Finance Department. This guide is designed to help our citizens navigate more efficiently to the specific areas of information with which they have concerns. We welcome the opportunity to better serve the needs of our residents, so please feel free to contact us with any comments or suggestions you may have regarding our website.

Below are frequently asked questions by topic.

General Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Rates and Fees for the city of Richmond?

Tax TypeRates / Fees
Individual Personal Property$3.70 per $100 of assessed value
Business Personal Property$3.70 per $100 of assessed value
Business License TaxGross Receipts Less than $5,000 - $0 fee
Business License TaxGross Receipts Greater than $5,000 but Less than $100,000 - $30 fee
Business License TaxGross Receipts > $100,000 - Tax Rate x Gross Receipts
Admissions Tax7% of admissions charge
Lodging Tax8% of lodging fee
Meals Tax6% of meal charge
Daily Rental Tax1% of rental charge
Daily Rental Tax - Heavy Equipment1.5% of rental charge
Consumer Utility TaxRates vary. Please contact the Finance Department regarding this information.
Real Estate Tax$1.20 per $100 of assessed value (2010 rate)
Vehicle License Fees
Vehicle TypeFees
Boat Trailer$6.50
Utility Trailer$6.50 to $22.00
National Guard$12.50
Disabled VeteranNo Charge
Antique CarNo Charge
Heavy Trucks**
Military Vehicles**
Rescue Squad Vehicles**
Other Vehicles weighing less than 4,000 pounds$33
Other Vehicles weighing greater than 4,000 pounds$38

** Please contact the Finance Department for further information.

Prorated amounts for partial year. Decals are dependent on period of residence. City Code 98-749(d).

Where Can I pay my Taxes and Fees?

All Taxes and Fees can be paid at three locations within the city. Special Note: Personal property & Real Estate taxes during filing season, as determined by the tax due date which is generally May 1 for property taxes and January 14 and June 14 for real estate taxes.

If your bill is past due, do not use the drop box as services may be interrupted due to processing time. Please pay your bill in person at one of the above-mentioned locations.

What form of payment does the city accept for payment of taxes and fees?

  • Cash -- Teller transactions only. Do not send cash though the mail or leave in the dropboxes.
  • Money Orders -- Teller transactions or Mail
  • Checks -- Teller transactions or Mail
  • Credit Card -- NOTE: The credit card company, as a cost for processing this transaction, adds a convenience fee of 2.5%, that is paid by the customer. This fee is not assessed by the city of Richmond and the city does not profit from the fee imposed.

    The following credit cards are accepted.

    • MasterCard
    • VISA
    • American Express
    • Discover

  • Telephone Payments -- Credit Card payments for Personal Property Tax only can be made by dialing: 1-888-2PAY TAX (1-888-272-9829). The code for the city of Richmond is 1059.

    Customers must have bill readily available to use this payment method to provide information as listed on the bill to the automated system. A 2.5% convenience fee will be charged.

    Parking tickets cannot be paid over the telephone, only by mail or in person.

How do I get a Sidewalk Vendor or Street Vendor's License?

Risk Management Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my property was damaged by the city?

You must file a written claim against the city of Richmond. The Code of Virginia, Section 15.2-209, requires written notice of a claim against a municipality be provided within 6 months of the event giving rise to the claim. To file a claim against the city of Richmond, the claim letter should be addressed as follows:

Mr. Allen Jackson, Esq.
City Attorney
Room 404
900 E. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219

The letter should include the pertinent information of the incident, including the date, time of day, location, parties involved, vehicles involved, names of witnesses and a description of what occurred.

Who may I contact in the event I have any questions regarding damage to my property or filing a claim against the city?

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.